In connection with the stabbing death of a 59-year-old Toronto man in what police are calling a “swarming” attack, eight adolescent girls are being charged with murder.
Following the weekend murder, officers from the Toronto Police Service charged the teenagers on Tuesday, according to the agency.
Just after 12:15 a.m. on Sunday, police responded to an allegation of an assault in downtown Toronto and discovered a male with stab wounds, according to Police Detective Sgt. Terry Browne. The individual was then taken to a hospital, where he passed away.
Start your day more wisely. Each morning, receive all the news you require in your inbox.
The victims identity will not be made public by the police until his next-of-kin has been reached. In the fall, according to Browne, the victim relocated to a nearby homeless shelter.
According to Browne, who spoke to reporters, “as the inquiry progressed, it became clear very early on that the individuals involved in this were being described as eight young females.” According to him, police found the suspects near the scene of the attack and detained three 13-year-old girls, three 14-year-old girls, and two 16-year-old girls, accusing them of second-degree murder.
The suspects connected on social media.
According to Browne, the same girls got into a fight earlier that evening in the vicinity of the man’s murder. He declined to provide further information, but he did state that the girls were allegedly trying to steal a bottle of alcohol from the victim, according to the detectives.
“(The suspects) got to know one another on social media. They originate from several locations throughout the city, Browne said during a press briefing. “We have no idea how or why they connected that evening or why they chose to travel to downtown Toronto. How long they had been acquainted with one another is unknown. At this time, I wouldn’t classify them as a gang.
They took part in a “swarming,” according to Browne. He opted not to mention if the teenager recorded the assault.
He claimed that several weapons had been taken, but he would not specify what sort. All of the girls, according to him, are Canadian, and three of the suspects have a history of running afoul of the law.
I’ve been in policing for almost 35 years and you think you’ve seen it all,” Browne said in an interview with The Associated Press. “Anyone who isn’t shocked with hearing something like this has clearly just thrown in the towel and just said that anything is possible in this world. Eight young girls and most under the age of 16. If this isn’t alarming and shocking to everyone, then we’re all in trouble quite frankly.”
Browne said police spoke to the parents of the teens.
“I can tell you it was a shock to find out that their children were involved in an event like this,” he said.
Canadian authorities did not release the girls’ names because they are minors.
Browne said they remain in custody and are due in court for an appearance Dec. 29.